Careers at Kings Priory School
For the latest Careers Information, pupils should visit their Year Group or Tutor Group Google Classroom pages.
New opportunities posted weekly.
2022 – 2023 has been another exciting year for careers at Kings Priory School. As the country’s recovery from COVID is ongoing, we have continued to support our pupils with their career aspirations.
We continue to engage with the nationally respected Gatsby Benchmarks and have made significant progress towards achieving these as our careers advice and guidance goes from strength to strength.
2022 – 2023 Careers Highlights
- Bespoke UCAS and Apprenticeship support and guidance for all students to prepare for their next steps
- Early Bird Applicants – Bespoke support sessions with Mr Sanderson
- Careers Fair – 3 May 2023
- Cambridge University, Online Personal Statement Workshop – May 2023
- UCAS Fair – 24 June 2023
- UCAS Conference – 10 July 2023
- Work Experience Programme – 3 July – 7 July 2023
- Selwyn College Cambridge, Residential Visit – 6 July 2023
- Impartial careers guidance interviews completed for the whole year group
- Work Experience Programme 3 July – 7 July 2023
- Post-16 Careers Fair – 26 June 2023
- ‘Choices’ programme to support the cohort in selecting their GCSE options for Year 9
- Young Enterprise Challenge
Coming up this academic year
- Bespoke UCAS support and guidance for all students to prepare for their next steps is back underway
- Apprenticeship assemblies and workshops begin in November and run throughout the year to support pupils in seeking alternative pathways Post 18.
- Year 12 and 13 welcome the return of a range of speakers from the world of work to Personal Development sessions again this year.
- Work Experience Programme 1 - 5 July 2024
- Careers Fair March/April 2024 TBC
- Impartial careers guidance interviews with Carol Myers from Connexions begin in May 2024
- Selwyn College Cambridge, Residential Visit – July 2024 TBC
- Impartial careers guidance interviews with Carol Myers from Connexions begin in November 2023
- Apprenticeship assemblies and workshops begin in November and run throughout the year to support pupils in seeking alternative pathways Post 16.
- Work Experience Programme 1 -5 July 2024
- Year 10 will also see the return of a Face-2-Face ‘Building My Skills’ Programme from Esh Group in January 2024, where they get the opportunity to hear from a range of businesses on a number of aspects of the world of work, culminating in a celebration event in the summer geared towards mock interviews with industry professionals and a real opportunity to secure work experience as a result.
- Post-16 Options Careers Fair – June 2024 TBC
- NHS Careers, Theatre Event – 16 November 2023
- ‘Choices’ Programme including a launch assembly and range of support available in the lead up to Year 8 GCSE Curriculum Evening in February 2024
- Young Enterprise Challenge
- STEMterprise March 2024
PLUS many more opportunities to engage with employers and the world of work through National Apprenticeship Week in February 2024, National Careers Week in March 2024, the PSHE curriculum, and in subject areas across all key stages. Continue to check ParentMail and google classroom for the latest news and events.
We continue to work in partnership with the NELEP and other local partners to help develop the school’s careers programme. Dr Sam Whitehouse of Lightox and High Force Research reprises his role as Enterprise Adviser to continue to offer us expert insight from the world of work.
We welcome interaction with local businesses and technical education and apprenticeship providers. Any interested employer or education establishment should contact the school and speak with Mr Hand – Assistant Principal: Senior School. Please see ‘Technical and Further Education Act 2017 commonly known as the Baker Clause’ documentation below for further details
The Gatsby Benchmarks
The Gatsby Benchmarks were developed on behalf of the Gatsby Foundation by Sir John Holman. They define what world class careers provision in education looks like and provide a clear framework for organising the careers provision at Kings Priory School and education providers across England
The benchmarks are enshrined in statutory guidance and as a Kings Priory School is committed to its responsibility to ensure their implementation in our school. For further information, please explore the following webpages
Upcoming Careers events in the region
How is the careers provision assessed at Kings Priory School?
The school is developing a multi-level approach to assessing careers provision.
The careers leader meets termly with the schools Enterprise Adviser and an Enterprise Co-ordinator from the NELEP to complete the schools Compass+ evaluations, set against the Gatsby Benchmarks. We will also discuss the school’s career programme – making adjustments to improve the quality of current provision and plan for future provision to be increasingly effective.
Through our careers package Grofar, pupils are sent feedback request forms for all careers events that they attend. This is then collated and informs discussions in termly careers review meetings and the planning of future, re-occurring events.
Employers and External providers that deliver sessions to pupils and students are sent feedback request forms which are used to inform the planning of future, re-occurring events.
Annual careers learning walks will take place to track, monitor and evaluate the impact of curriculum links with careers. Feedback will then be shared with CTLs to inform future curriculum planning decisions.
A full overview of the careers programme at Kings Priory School can be found in our annually reviewed Careers Policy which can be found here. Pupils, parents, staff and employers can access this document to find out more about careers at our school. .
Please keep checking here, read the school newsletters and follow the Senior School twitter feed @KPS_Senior for more careers news and advice. The twitter feed will retweet helpful information for parents and pupils too!
Mr Hand can be contacted at school on 0191 258 5995 or email: